Friday, April 26, 2013

My Half Marathon for Eagles Wings Children's Village



I have decided to once again run the half marathon in Winnipeg on June 16 to raise funds and awareness for a housing project at Eagles Wings Children's Village.

Why am I doing this?  Quite simply, because this is a cause I believe in with all that I am.

Last time I ran in 2011 I raised money for the Family 3 Housing Project.  The children are now living out at the property and they have completed 2 eco-san toilets (that I designed!), a dining hut, a girls hut and a boys hut.  However they still need to raise funds to build an additional girls hut, boys hut and house parents house.

So, I'm lacing up my runners and hitting the pavement again this year to see what I can do to help.

When I went to Uganda in 2012 after running my first half marathon, several of the kids told me they knew I had run a race for them and said thank you.  One little boy, Fred, looked up at me with his big brown eyes and said "Auntie, did you win?"  Well not quite, but I did finish and that was the goal:)

Anyone who has run a long distance race knows that last mile is run on iron will.  Last time I ran, I rounded the corner with a little over a mile to go and the thought of putting one foot in front of the other seemed nearly impossible.  My lungs were burning and my legs were heavy, and all of a sudden this guy I had never seen before in my life looked at the name on my bib, got right up in my face and screamed at the top of his lungs "YOU CAN DO THIS JAIMEE"  That was the push I needed to finish.  Likewise, I'm sure there are days these children I love struggle to get out of bed and put one foot in front of the other. I want to be someone they see on the sidelines cheering them on and letting them know they have what it takes.  Will you join me?

If you would like to sponsor me, you can donate on-line at

http://www.eagleswingschildrensvillage.com/

Scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Donate Via Paypal."  No paypal account necessary.  Before finalizing your donation, please click "Add Special Instructions to EWCV" and write "Jaimee's Marathon" in the box.  They will direct the funds to the correct project.

Donations over $20 will be issued a tax receipt at the end of the year.

Cheques with "Jaimee's Marathon" in the memo box can be mailed to

Eagles Wings Children's Village
712 - 133 Niakwa Road
Winnipeg, MB
R2M 5J5
Canada

Some of the Family 3 Children enjoy their new housing situation. Completed huts seen in the background.


The nearly completed boys hut.  It is now completed, sorry I don't have a more recent picture!

The completed dining hut.

Nearing the finish line in 2011







1 comment:

  1. Hi Jaimee. I found out about your blog from the recent EWCV newsletter and I'm so thankful that I stopped by today! I spent a week at Eagle's Wings in October 2010 and the people there quickly found a place in my heart. It's wonderful to see pictures and hear news of some of "my" Family 3 kids! :) Also, I am encouraged to see God's unique work in your life... how He has connected you to different missions around the world and you have poured yourself out wholeheartedly, but you also live wholeheartedly for the Lord at home. Praise Him!!

    ReplyDelete